Train travel with pets
Trains that allow pets vary depending on the train and the country, you may require a ticket for your dog or other pets. Dog tickets are not available on Rail Europe. The best place to find information is via The Man in Seat 61's guide to train travel with dogs. See below for pet-friendly trains:
Eurostar pet policy
Eurotunnel and the cross-channel ferries are participating in the Passport for Pets scheme. They can provide a more practical means of travelling with your pet, since animals can travel with their owners in a private vehicle.
Guide and assistance dogs
- A microchip.
- Official entry/ re-entry certificate.
- Certification of treatment against Ticks and Tapeworm.
- Pet travel scheme declaration for completion by the person bringing the guide dog into England.
Pets on the TGV
The cost of the pet fare depends on the size and weight of the animal.
- Small dogs or other domestic animals (less than 6kg) can be carried in a bag or basket not exceeding 45cm x 30cm x 25cm. You must pay a €7,50 supplement for your pet.
- Larger pets (over 6kg) get a 50% discount on the full Second Class fare (even if you travel in First Class). Large dogs must be kept on a lead and muzzled.
- Each passenger can bring up to 2 dogs or 2 pet carriers. Pet tickets are not available to purchase online so must be purchased over the telephone directly with the rail operator, or at an SNCF station or SNCF Boutique in France.
- Pets must be under 10kg and carried in a suitable container.
- Note that the rules for the Renfe-SNCF TGV service between Paris and Barcelona are the same as AVE services in Spain.
How to book: Tickets for pets cannot be booked online with Rail Europe. We recommend that you telephone SNCF. Outside France: +33 1 84 94 36 35 (press #85 for English).
Pets on the AVE (including Renfe-SNCF)
- Small domestic pets, defined as dogs, cats, ferrets & birds (not poultry) no heavier than 10 kg can be carried in a suitable carrier not exceeding 60cm x 35cm x 35 cm.
- Larger dogs are not permitted on any Spanish trains.
- In sleeping accommodation, the transport of animals is only permitted if you book sole occupancy of couchettes/sleepers compartment.
- Only one pet will be allowed per passenger
- Guide dogs for the blind are permitted to travel free of charge.
- Passengers with Preferente, Club, Gran Clase and Great Comfort tickets may transport pets for free, provided that they take the pet to the ticket office prior to boarding. For all other classes set a price of 25% Economy Class seat is applied.
How to book: Tickets for pets can be booked online on Renfe's website, at the same time as purchasing passenger tickets. Once you've selected the available fare, click the dog icon under the summary table to add a ticket for your pet (one per passenger). The price is €15.
Pets on trains in the UK
- Maximum of two pets per passenger
- Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times unless contained in a basket.
- Dogs without leads, cats, birds and small animals must be carried in an enclosed basket, cage or pet carrier. It must be rigid and not open (to prevent escape). The animal should be able to stand and lie down in comfort.
- Animals and containers must not occupy seats, otherwise, a charge will be made.
- Animals are not permitted in the restaurant cars except for blind persons' guide dogs or deaf persons' assistance dogs, which may be allowed into the restaurant car at the steward's discretion. However, every effort is made to serve meals at blind or deaf persons' seats.
- Bylaw 16 allows the train company to refuse carriage or entry to any animal. If your dog or other animal causes a nuisance or inconvenience to other passengers you may be asked to remove it from the train or railway premises by the Train Company or Rail Service Company staff.
Pets on the Thello
Domestic pets are allowed on the Thello under the following conditions:
Pets weighing less than 5kg:
- No extra charge
- Pet must be in a bag, basket or cage, which will count as one of two allowed pieces of luggage
Dogs weighing between 5 - 50kg:
- Fee of €50
- You must book your own compartment (if travelling solo you will need to book a single-bed compartment)
For more information, and if you're travelling with a larger dog, you should contact Thello prior to travel.
Pets on trains in Italy
Frecciarossa, Frecciaargento and Frecciabiana
- Small pets are admitted in First and Second Class for no extra charge if carried in the appropriate container no larger than 70x30x50. Each traveller can bring only one container.
- Large dogs get a 50% discount on the full Second Class fare. They are not permitted in Executive and Premium Class, Silence Area or Sitting Rooms.
- All pets must have a certificate of registration and health card (or, for dogs of foreign citizens, the "passport of the dog") for the duration of the trip.
Express trains, IC and ICN
- Each traveller is allowed to transport a dog of any size, kept on a leash and muzzled in both first and second class.
- Dogs are only permitted on night trains if you book sole occupancy of the compartment.
- One dog of any size on a short lead and wearing a muzzle.
- Dogs must be kept in the vestibule of the last wagon.
- Dogs are not allowed during peak travel times (7am - 9am Monday to Friday).
How to book: Pet tickets are available from any ticket office or authorised travel agency (excluding web agencies).
Pets on the train in Germany
- Small dogs (e.g. the size of a domestic cat and smaller) are permitted on board.
- No extra charge.
- A carrier must be used for transportation (one pet per passenger).
- Large dogs must wear a muzzle and be kept on a leash when onboard trains. If your dog is not wearing a muzzle or is not on a leash, or if a muzzle and leash are not deployed when requested by a train attendant, the attendant is entitled to remove the dog from the train. This does not apply to dogs being transported in carriers.
- Large dogs need to buy a half-price ticket, so it can travel by train.
- Half-price tickets for long-distance journeys are available for standard and saver fares alike. If you are travelling with a regional Länder-Ticket or nationwide Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket, your dog counts as a person/adult.
- Dogs cannot be included on Online-Tickets, i.e. they are not entitled to free travel as children are. If bringing your dog on a cross-border journey, you need to buy a child's second-class ticket for it.
As a general rule, seats cannot be reserved for dogs. Similarly, it is not possible to print out online tickets booked for dogs: instead, these online tickets are sent by post.
How to book: We recommend that you book with Deutsche Bahn directly, either via their website or via an authorised agent (excluding web agencies).
City Night Line
Passengers who have booked a compartment for their exclusive use may bring dogs with them. Youll need to pay a €30 fee per animal once you're on board the train.
Pets on Thalys trains
Pets are allowed on Thalys trains, with restrictions based on size. Guide dogs and other assistance dogs are not required to wear muzzles and may travel without a ticket. With the exception of guide and assistance dogs, pets are not accepted on Thalys Snow and Sun trains as well as on connecting trains departing from or travelling to London.
- Small domestic animals (weighing fewer than 6 kilos) are permitted free of charge.
- They must be transported in a carrier not exceeding 45 x 30 x 25 cm.
- The Passenger can take a maximum of 2 animals which must be vaccinated.
- Documents confirming the vaccination status must be presented.
- Pets weighing more than 6 kg can travel without a carrier provided that they are muzzled and do not disturb other passengers.
- Dogs travelling without a carrier are only permitted on board upon purchase of a "Dog" fare ticket (you can purchase from the train manager on board) and provided they travel on the lap of their owner or are kept on a lead on the floor of the carriage, and are muzzled.
- Upon request of another passenger, the Train Manager may move the animal and its owner to another part of the train. Guide dogs accompanying blind travellers as well as assistance dogs travel free of charge.
Dangerous dogs, wild animals and birds (parrots, canaries) are not allowed on board.