Submitting a claim to SNCB
We book some journeys in Switzerland, The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg via the Belgian rail operator, SNCB. If your train is delayed or cancelled, we can submit a claim on your behalf.
IN THIS ARTICLE
Am I eligible for compensation?
If your train is cancelled or delayed by 60 minutes or more, you are usually entitled to some compensation. Your claim must be submitted your claim within 60 days of travel. As a general rule, compensation will be calculated as follows:
- For a delay of 60 - 119 minutes: 25% of the price of the ticket.
- For a delay of 120 minutes or more: 50% of the price of the ticket.
Required details & documents
We will need the following from you to submit a claim. Please click "More Help" on the bottom right side of your screen and message us with the following information:
- Your booking details Please include your Rail Europe booking reference (it begins with "RE-"), passenger names and your train number. (You can find this in your Rail Europe booking confirmation email, e.g. Thello 221.)
- Details of your disruption Please include information about the length of the delay, or any other relevant details.
- Receipts for any other expenses incurred (if applicable) If applicable, you should submit receipts for expenses in accordance with the Conditions of Carriage, e.g. alternative transport/taxi receipt, or a hotel bill if overnight accommodation was necessary. A photo/scan of these documents is acceptable, but we recommend retaining the original copies until your claim is resolved.
Illness / Bereavement
SNCB may consider a refund if a passenger is hospitalised on the date of travel, or if you experience bereavement of an immediate family member. Please attache a hospital note or copy of a death certificate to your message to us.
You should always claim via your travel insurance company first, if you have coverage. SNCB will only consider (but not guarantee) refunds for unavoidable expenses incurred as a direct result of their delayed or cancelled train. For example:
- Overnight accommodation.
- Transport between the station and your accommodation.
SNCB will not cover any other expenses.
If you need to make a claim for additional expenses, you should add a short explanation and attach supporting documents in your message to us.
How will the refund be paid?
Once SNCB approves your compensation (usually within 30 - 60 days), we will refund the payment card used for booking, and we'll send you an email to confirm. Though refunds are immediate from our end, it usually takes a few business days to reach your account.