Persons with reduced mobility (PMR)
The new Rail Passenger Rights Regulation has strengthened the rights of PRMs; details of these nights can be found here.
We have summarized the most important points for you:
Persons with disabilities or persons with reduced mobility shall be assisted as follows:
- The customers can request a travel assistance until 24 hours before departure by contacting the carrier. Such notifications must be forwarded by the client to all railway undertakings and station managers involved in the journey.
- The companion may travel with a special tariff and, if applicable, free of charge and be seated, where practicable, next to the person with disabilities by contacting the carrier.
- The carrier can require that a person with reduced mobility is accompanied on-board the train (request permissible only where strictly necessary to comply with the access rules),
- An assistance dog shall be permitted to accompany the person with reduced mobility in accordance with any relevant national law. It must be checked with the carrier.
- At unstaffed stations/trains: carriers or station managers shall make all reasonable efforts to enable person with reduced mobility to travel.
- At staffed stations: the station manager or the carrier shall provide assistance free of charge in such a way that the person is able to board the train, to transfer to a connecting rail service for which he or she has a ticket, or to alight from the train, provided there is trained staff on duty. Where the need for assistance has been notified in advance, the station manager or the railway undertaking shall ensure that assistance is provided as requested.
- Where the journey cannot continue the same day and the carrier offers accommodation for the night, it is now foreseen that the needs of assistant dogs shall also be considered, whenever possible.
- Information on the accessibility of stations, access conditions to rolling stock and available services and facilities shall be presented to person with reduced mobility in an accessible format.
Specific compensation for PRM:
Carrier’s liability for the lost or damaged mobility equipment or assistive devices, which entails the provision of compensation for:
the lost or damaged mobility equipment or assistive devices.
the cost of replacement or the treatment of the injury of an assistance dog.
reasonable costs of temporary replacement for mobility equipment, assistive devices or assistance dogs.
If you are a PRM and you are facing any difficulties to book your journey, please contact us.
Please find below the details about special assistance in Europe.
Please find here the details about special assistance in Eurostar stations.
Please find here the details about special assistance in French stations.
Please find here the details about special assistance in Spanish stations.
Assistance in United Kingdom
Please find here the details about special assistance in stations in the United Kingdom.
Assistance in Italy
Please find here the details about special assistance in stations in Italo trains.
Please find here the details about special assistance in stations in Trenitalia trains.
Assistance in Germany
Please find here the details about special assistance in stations in Germany.