FAQ - TGV INOUI Italie - Alternative offer due to landslide - from 10 January 2024
- Is the TGV INOUI Italy offer, in circulation from January 10, 2024, direct?
Although the TGV INOUI Italy offer is mainly direct, part of the journey requires the use of a bus due to the closure of the railway in the Maurienne valley.
The ride consists of three segments, but only one ticket is required for the entire trip.
The three segments of the offer are as follows:
- PARIS <> SAINT-JEAN DE MAURIENNE: TGV INOUI Italy
- SAINT-JEAN DE MAURIENNE <> OULX: BUS
- OULX <> MILAN: TGV INOUI Italy
For example, the journey between Paris and Milan therefore requires taking a TGV on the part French, then a bus to connect Saint-Jean de Maurienne to Oulx and finally another TGV on the Italian part to end the trip.
- Why is a bus ride necessary for part of the journey?
A landslide occurred on August 27, 2023 in the Maurienne valley, causing the interruption of rail traffic between Saint-Michel Valloire and Modane.
Since this incident, international rail traffic between France and Italy, passing through the valley of the Maurienne, is interrupted. It is expected that the nominal TGV INOUI Italy offer between Paris and Milan will not be able to resume, at better, before the summer of 2024.
In order to maintain the cross-border connection between the two countries, TGV INOUI Italy has set up a connection including part of the journey by bus.
- How long will a Paris-Milan journey take, including the part taken by bus?
The total duration of the journey between Paris and Milan will be extended compared to the nominal offer of TGV INOUI Italy, lasting between 8 and 9 hours.
- What part of the journey will be provided by a substitute bus?
The portion of the journey between Saint-Jean de Maurienne and Oulx will be made by bus.
- How long is the bus journey?
The bus journey is estimated to take around an hour. This duration may vary depending on the direction of traffic, traffic conditions and weather conditions.
- Is a specific ticket necessary for the bus?
There is no need to purchase a specific ticket for the bus. The standard TGV INOUI ticket Italy covers the section operated by bus.
- Is it possible to buy only a bus ticket between Saint-Jean de Maurienne and Oulx?
No, the bus ticket alone, between Saint-Jean de Maurienne and Oulx is not offered for sale.
- How many TGV INOUI Italy trains will run per day?
The frequency of this offer is limited to 1 round trip per day, or two trains per day.
The nominal offer of 3 round trips will be operational again upon reopening total of the railway line.
- Is a catering service available on board the train?
A catering service will be available on board the TGV INOUI train on the French side of the route, from Paris to Saint-Jean de Maurienne. Availability of catering service on board on the Italian part, from Oulx to Milan, has yet to be confirmed.
- Is a catering service available on board the bus?
No, no catering service is available on the bus.
- Are there any stops planned during the bus journey?
No, no stop is planned, the journey is direct between Saint-Jean de Maurienne and Oulx.
- What are the train numbers for the TGV INOUI Italy offer?
Train no. 9249 will run from France to Italy and train no. 9248 will run from Italy to France.
- What are the opening times for the TGV INOUI Italy offer?
Train times are as follows:
- What are the after-sales conditions of the offer?
Reimbursement of the ticket, free of charge, is possible until the departure of the train. The exchange without fee is also possible, only within the scope of TGV INOUI Italy.
- Is the offer accessible to people with reduced mobility?
A place reserved for people with reduced mobility is provided on board trains and buses.
- What will be the placement inside the trains?
Seating will be identical on board both trains, each customer retains the same seat.
- What will be the placement inside the bus?
Seating will be free on board the bus. The customer must present their TGV INOUI train ticket Italy valid to the driver during the climb.
- Will on-board staff be present throughout the journey?
SNCF staff will be present on board the train and during the transfer between the train and the bus to guide and assist customers.
- Will wifi service be available on board the bus?
Currently being defined.
- Will wifi service be available on board the trains?
The wifi service and the TGV INOUI portal will be available on board the trains.
- How will getting on the bus go?
SNCF staff will be present in Saint-Jean de Maurienne and Oulx to support the travelers during transfers between train and bus.
- Is luggage transfer between train and bus provided?
The transfer of luggage between the train and the bus hold is carried out by the customer.
- What documents should I bring for the trip?
A valid transport ticket and a valid identity document are required to travel on the TGV INOUI Italy offer. The border crossing will be carried out by bus, and checks of the border police may be carried out, requiring compulsory presentation a valid identity document.
- Can I travel with my pet?
Yes, pets are accepted on board the TGV INOUI Italy and on board the bus.
Pets must have a ticket.
- Can I travel with my bike?
No, it is not possible to travel with your bike on the TGV INOUI Italy offer and on board the bus.